Braunton ladies chime in for Chemo Appeal
- Credit: Archant
Purple Patch – the braunton Ladies Handbell Ringers continue their impressive fundraising efforts.
BRAUNTON Ladies Handbell ringers have raised another £600 for the Chemotherapy Appeal which brings their fundraising total so far to £2,000.
A cheque for £600 was presented to appeal fundraiser Julie Whitton at their performance in the Mariners Court Retirement Home in Braunton and a cheque for the same amount was also presented to Rachel North of Homestart. The ladies have now raised an amazing £18,000 for charities through their handbell ringing efforts.
In November 1968, after St Brannock’s Church Bell Ringers had won a striking competition and were celebrating with their wives in the local pub, one of the ladies said ‘We should do something like this’ and the Braunton Ladies Handbell Ringers were created.
Using a set of old church handbells, together with two others found in a garage there were sufficient bells to ring carol tunes. After lots of practice, the team visited pubs and homes of friends to raise money to purchase their own bells.
You may also want to watch:
They now have four chromatic octaves of Whitechapel bells, some 53 bells altogether. The team has 14 ringers including four of the original founder members.
“The Braunton Ladies Handbell Ringers performances are wonderful and we are delighted they are supporting local charities such as the Chemotherapy Appeal to raise funds for our much needed Chemotherapy Unit,” said Julie.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes