Five people were treated by paramedics after a house fire in Braunton on Saturday evening.

Four fire engines from Barnstaple, Woolacombe and Ilfracombe rushed to reports of the house fire in Pill Gardens at around 6.30pm.

By the time crews arrived, five people had been evacuated. Two were being treated for smoke inhalation, another two for shock, and one with superficial burns.

A dog was rescued from the property by fire fighters.

The fire involved a car in front of the property, and completely destroyed to the front door, lounge and bedroom windows of the two-storey terraced house.

A bicycle was also severely damaged and there was fire and smoke damage to the hallway, lounge, and rest of the property.

Fire fighters extinguished the blaze using three hose reel jets, four breathing apparatus, one safety jet, two thermal imaging cameras and small tools.

The cause of the fire was accidental.