Braunton couple scoop �100,000 scratchcard win
Couple’s luck changes as they win top prize with locally-bought scratchcard.
AMATEUR golfer Shaun Sanders, dubbed the unluckiest man in Braunton, has finally struck lucky with a �100,000 jackpot on a National Lottery scratchcard.
Shaun, 31, narrowly missed out on winning a new Mini Cooper car when his tee-shot attempt on the 17th landed on the green, rolled into the hole – and bounced straight out again – at the recent competition at Saunton Golf Club.
The �18,000 car was on offer during this month’s Sports Foundation Golf Day to anyone who landed a hole in one.
But he and wife, Laura, who both live in Braunton, didn’t have to dwell on their loss for long. After buying a �100,000 Cash scratchcard from the village’s Oasis Service Station in Exeter Road, they soon realised they had won the top prize.
You may also want to watch:
Shaun, who is assistant hotel manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, said: “Laura and I were in complete shock when we realised we had won the prize, we still are to be honest. I took a picture of the winning scratchcard on my phone and I can’t stop looking at it.
“We can’t quite believe this has happened to us. We were talk of the town after the disappointment of the recent golf competition with the hole in one shot that wasn’t. But we don’t care about that all now.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
Shaun and Laura met and fell in love at work at the Saunton Sands Hotel, where Laura is bar manager. The couple, who also married at the hotel, are now planning to use some of their winnings to buy a new home in the area, with a garden.
Laura said: “The win could not have come at a better time for us. We are currently living in a flat, but we would really like to move to a new house where we can entertain our family and friends.
“We would also like to use the money for a holiday and, with Christmas coming up, it will be lovely to treat our loved ones with some gifts.”
The couple are also in a syndicate with work colleagues at the Saunton Sands Hotel, but this is the first time they have won a significant amount on the National Lottery.
Shaun added: “We have won the odd tenner in the past with the syndicate, but this is our first big win on a scratchcard; we are definitely planning to go out for drinks with some friends and have a bit of a party.
“Things like this don’t happen to people around here very often so we will definitely be making the most of it and celebrating.”