Braunton charity committee retires after 54 years
Local Cancer Research UK group collects an amazing quarter of a million pounds through its tireless efforts
THE Braunton for Cancer Research UK committee is hanging up their collecting tins after 54 years having raised more than a quarter of a million pounds for the charity.
At its last ever AGM the Braunton Local Committee celebrated raising an amazing �251,307 since it was founded on March 27, 1957 at the Parish Hall, chaired by Dr Ritchie.
But the good work will continue and several members are going on to support the local Cancer Research UK Relay for Life group as well as the Barnstaple Committee.
Committee members Dick Lord, Joan and Charles Tucker, Irene Hockin, Anne Tucker, Diane and Norman Dennis are retiring, the latter three after more than 40 years of service with the group.
You may also want to watch:
Early fund raising events included a children’s party and adult fancy dress ball - during this era dances seemed the most popular type of event bring in the crowds and in 1959 the first donation sent to the charity was �195.
Present chairman Stan Westlake said: “I have been on the committee a mere 22 years!
- 1 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 2 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 3 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 4 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 7 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
“I can remember Valentine’s Balls at Saunton Sands, wine and cheese evenings at Ash Barton, dancing at The Barnstaple Hotel, coffee mornings, Big Breakfasts and standing in a thunderstorm outside John Wensleys on street collection.
“Those who helped raise these sums are too numerous to mention but I would like to thank most sincerely all current members who are all long serving and to Joan and Charles Tucker for hosting our meetings so hospitably for very many years.”
Dawn Harrison, Cancer Research UK’s area volunteer manager for North Devon added: “I would like to thank all the members of the Braunton committee, past and present, for the fantastic amount they have raised and the massive contribution they have made to our vital work over the past 54 years.
“I would also like to thank the generous nature of the people from Braunton, who have always been very supportive of the work the committee do and are the main reason they have been so successful in making this amazing sum of money.”
For further information about Cancer Research UK’s work and how you can support the charity, call 08701 60 20 40 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org.uk.