Fire fighters tackle huge barn fire at Braunton
- Credit: Katie Rodgers
Fire crews have been battling a fierce barn blaze in Braunton overnight tonight (Friday, June 19).
The alarm was raised just after 7pm and crews from Braunton and Barnstaple were called to the blazing building in a field at Boode Road, joined by the water carrier from Barnstaple.
On arrival they called for two more fire engines to attend.
Initial report posted on the North Devon News Facebook page by Peter Langrish described a ‘massive fireball and thick black smoke’.
The smoke could be see rising into the sky from several miles away.
You may also want to watch:
Fire fighters used hose jets and what appeared to be foam to tackle the blaze.
Nearby residents were asked to close all doors and windows because of the huge plume of smoke generated by the fire.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 7 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
No injuries been reported.
Katie Rodgers, who filmed this video, said there had been a large police presence in the area, questioning anyone who may have seen anything.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “A fire crew from Braunton revisited the scene on Saturday morning and were satisfied that the fire fighting is complete.
“The building is a single storey industrial unit used for storage.
“The building and its contents have been completely destroyed by fire.
The fire was extinguished using four breathing apparatus, two compressed air foam jets, and two main jets.”