A property in Bradworthy had to be evacuated last night (Wednesday) after a possible gas leak.

The fire service received a call at around 8pm stating there was a ‘strong smell of gas’ at a property in Mill Road.

Fire appliances from Holsworthy and Hartland as well as the environmental protection unit from North Tawton were called out.

A specialist hazmat officer and an environmental advisor also attended.

Two people were evacuated from the building prior to the arrival of fire fighters and the property was ventilated.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “On arrival crews confirmed a strong smell of gas within the property and set to work investigating using two breathing apparatus wearers, one hose reel jet and a gas detector.

“Two occupants were evacuated from the property prior to the arrival of the fire service. Crews isolated the gas tank and allowed the property to ventilate naturally.”