Boxing club kitted out with new funding
Amateur boxing club receives two grants to kit out the club and purchase a full size training ring.
A BOXING club is well on its way to success after receiving a number of generous donations.
Torrington Police Amateur Boxing Club received a �3,000 grant from Torridge District Council as part of the new Youth Initiative Budget.
The grant was used to purchase new equipment, and a second donation from Torrington Cavaliers means the club can now spar in a new, full size training ring.
Heathcliffe Pettifer, secretary of the club, said: “Ring time is crucial for skills and experience, and it also means we could in theory invite other clubs to train and spar with us, further improving our boxers.”
You may also want to watch:
“Our club has moved on so quickly in a short space of time - it’s unbelievable.
“The money we were given primed our efforts to get the club off the ground, and now we can have anything up to 30 juniors training with us of an evening.”
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
Council leader Cllr Barry Parsons said it was great to see the youth fund being put to use.
He said: “Young people in Torrington now have an opportunity to train using brand new equipment, and thanks to the volunteer coaches like Heath who run the club, they have a new focus, a chance to increase their self-belief, confidence and a positive outlet for their limitless energy.”
Funding of up to �3,000 per application is still available from the �30,000 budget set up to help young people in Torridge make a difference to their lives.
For more information contact the council’s Community Development Officer on 01237 428756, or go to www.torridge.gov.uk/youthbudget