Booze stats shock for North Devon towns
PEOPLE in North Devon s three main towns of Barnstaple, Ilfracombe and Bideford top Devon s drinking league tables for all the wrong reasons, according to new figures. NHS statistics from April 2005 to March 2009 show the three towns have the highest hosp
PEOPLE in North Devon's three main towns of Barnstaple, Ilfracombe and Bideford top Devon's drinking league tables for all the wrong reasons, according to new figures.
NHS statistics from April 2005 to March 2009 show the three towns have the highest hospital admission rates per head population for alcohol related issues in the whole of the county.
The data also reveal that about 160 people across Devon attend accident and emergency departments with alcohol-related issues every day and around 111,000 Devonians aged between 16 and 64 drink at hazardous or harmful levels.
There is particular concern about young people said Roger Bartlett, team leader of the North Devon 'How To Drug Proof Your Kids' scheme, a drug and alcohol education programme for parents and carers that's been running across North Devon for the past four years.
You may also want to watch:
"While illegal drugs worry parents, from the courses we have run, the misuse of alcohol among young people is, without doubt, the most prevalent issue for parents." he said. "It is so widely available and we know that anti-social behaviour, violence and other crime as well as long term health issues can result from harmful drinking and no parent wants their child to get caught up in that."
The group's six-week courses cost �15 per person and are run throughout the autumn and spring terms.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
The next evening course will be run at the Vivian Moon Centre in Braunton from Tuesday, September 14, and a course is planned in Barnstaple at the Tarka Tennis Centre from Wednesday, November 10.
To book or find out more information call (01271) 336271 or visit www.dpyknorthdevon.co.uk