Book published after 40 years of work
After four decades of trying, Dolton author finally gets fantasy novel published.
FORTY years ago whilst holidaying in Guernsey, inspiration came to Alan Brown to write a fantasy adventure novel.
But his work at a distribution manager for a newspaper in Kent got in the way and after several attempts at putting his idea into words, Alan gave up hope.
Now, after 26 letters of rejection, four months of writing and unrelenting determination, The Houmits of Seynorgue is in print.
“The idea came to me on holiday, when my wife and I kept seeing signs for a place called ‘Seynorgue’ but never managed to find it,” said Alan, who lives in Dolton.
You may also want to watch:
“I started writing again a few years ago when I retired and finally got interest from a publisher after responding to an advert in a magazine.”
The fantasy adventure tells the tale of the Houmits who live on Seynorgue, a fictional land in Dorsetshire ruled by the evil Baron Etheltread.
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 8 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 9 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
Alan said: “All of the good characters in my book are based on my son, daughter, grandchildren and close friends.
“The evil characters are based on me and my many mood swings.
“It’s very tongue in cheek and will make people laugh.”
Alan spent four months writing the book in longhand, which his wife of 49 years Barbara then typed up.
The 69-year-old said he is currently thinking up the idea for his next book.
The Houmits of Seynorgue can be purchased from Amazon or ordered from all good bookshops.