Book displays evolution of Northam and Westward Ho!
- Credit: Archant
Local authors and history group members put together the book which shows how Northam and Westward Ho! have changed.
THE history of Northam and Westward Ho! has been captured in a series of colourful photographs in a book by local authors.
Northam, Westward Ho! and District Through Time shows how the area has changed from a series of mansions owned by wealthy soldiers, to a growing holiday destination.
Julia, who is part of the Northam history society, and Maureen, who runs the Westward Ho! history society, worked together to source the old photographs.
Anthony then set about taking modern day photographs of the scenes, with Julia writing how each scene has changed through the years.
You may also want to watch:
“We wanted to give as much of the history as possible, rather than it just be a collection of photographs,” said Julia.
From the old pier and railway line to the drowned forest and extensive coastline, the book gives an insight into the evolution of the area.
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
Julia said: “I think one of the things I was most surprised to learn was how Westward Ho! was completely taken over during the war.
“Nearly ever house was requisitioned by the army and you couldn’t go on the beach or burrows because it was all mined.
“I think we need to document this history in this generation before it is lost.”
The book is available in WH Smiths as well as several local shops, including Walter Henry’s in Bideford, Everything Westward in Westward Ho! and the Premier stores in Westward Ho!