Bomb disposal teams called to deactivate ‘bomb’ in front garden of Bideford home
- Credit: Archant
Families evacuated after unexploded bomb was reported in Clovelly Road area of Bideford.
Bomb disposal experts have been called to deactivate an unexploded bomb in the front garden of a Bideford home.
People living in the Hawthorn Park area of the town are understood to have been evacuated from their homes at around tea time today (Monday) after police were called by a concerned home owner at around 5.30pm.
There are unconfirmed reports that the device was recovered by fishermen on Saturday and was believed to be a World War One or World War Two shell.
Police were only alerted after the device was identified by a family member.
You may also want to watch:
Arriving at the scene, officers set up a 30 metre cordon and evacuated neighbouring properties for safety.
It is understood bomb disposal experts showed up shortly before 8.30pm and safely removed the device.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 9 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
Russel Rogers, who called the police initially, said he wanted to apologise to everyone who had been asked to evacuate.
He said: “As a family would like to apologise to our neighbours that were asked to leave their properties, but we did what we felt was right in calling the police.”