Bogus callers pretend to be firefighters
DEVON and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is warning householders to be on their guard against bogus callers. This follows recent incidents where callers claiming to be making home safety visits on behalf of the service have gained access to homes. The
DEVON and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is warning householders to be on their guard against bogus callers.
This follows recent incidents where callers claiming to be making home safety visits on behalf of the service have gained access to homes.
The incidents have resulted in some money being stolen from occupants and has caused great distress.
The fire and rescue service wishes to make the following points clear:
You may also want to watch:
* It never cold calls or visits homes unannounced to give out advice.
* Appointments are only ever made when occupants contact the fire service themselves - not the other way round.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 8 Calls to reject latest bid for new homes at Chivenor Cross
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
* The home safety visit team will attend pre-arranged appointments so that occupants will know exactly what date and time to expect fire service staff to visit.
* All fire service staff have identity badges and uniforms, which can be verified as genuine by the service.
* Passwords can be put in place when arranging a visit, for extra security.
* Friends and family are welcome to be present at the time of a visit.
Group Manager Chris Ellis said: "If a resident receives a visit from someone purporting to be from the fire service and they have not arranged a home safety visit they must never let them into their property. It is also worth mentioning that all our advice is given on a goodwill basis and is absolutely free."
Anyone who would like to arrange a home safety visit should call:
0800 7311 822 / text 078 002476 or email: email@example.com