Fuel spilling from sinking boat at Bideford Quay
- Credit: Graham Hobbs
Emergency services are at Bideford Quay dealing with an ‘ongoing incident’ of a fishing boat sinking and spilling fuel.
The police, coastguard and Environment Agency are in attendance, working together with help from some local people to stem the flow of diesel leaking from the boat’s fuel tank.
The vessel, described by witness Trevor Tomlinson the ‘small survey ship, Dracoena’, has reportedly left around a 2.5km trail of diesel flooding out to sea.
A floating cordon has been formed downstream to help stop more diesel leaking.
Falmouth Coastguard confirmed there was an ‘ongoing incident’, and police said they have been notified.
You may also want to watch:
“There has been a report of a vessel up near the Bideford bridge that had been taking water,” a coastguard spokesman said.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
- 10 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple