ILFRACOMBE-In-Bloom organisers have been reflecting on a tremendous year for the town after it scooped a coveted Gold medal plus the elusive Preece Cup for a second year running – and called upon the community to help make next year just as good.
ILFRACOMBE-In-Bloom organisers have been reflecting on a tremendous year for the town after it scooped a coveted Gold medal plus the elusive Preece Cup for a second year running - and called upon the community to help make next year just as good.
Chairman Ivan Frances and Margaret Sutcliff of the In Bloom committee have presented the winning certificate to the Mayor, Councillor John Swan, who accepted it on behalf of the town.
"It was unique to Ilfracombe for us to win the cup two years in succession," said Mr Frances.
"Apart from Minehead and Sidmouth, which are very wealthy towns, we are the only others to have done so and it's also the third time the town has won RHS Gold.
You may also want to watch:
"I think the community all came together - the judges said on the day they had never seen so many different representatives of the community turn out."
The judges also commented on the high standard of the floral baskets and the cleanliness of the town.
- 1 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 2 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 3 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 4 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 5 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 6 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 7 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 8 Barnstaple flood prevention scheme at least two years away
- 9 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
"Although we have very little money we have huge community involvement and that's our strength," added Mrs Sutcliff.
It is hoped next year to include allotment owners who are keen to get involved.
The Mayor congratulated all involved, especially Ivan in his first year: "It was a huge role to take on and to do it so successfully... suggests we have a great in place for some time to come," he said.