Blood donors honoured
NHS rewards long-serving blood donors.
JOHN Short, Penelope Horrell and Patrick Brewer from North Devon were among 56 dedicated blood donors honoured by NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) at a donor awards event at Bovey Castle.
The ceremony honoured long-serving blood donors from all over Devon. All donors who received awards had donated blood on at least 75 occasions. Eleven of the lifesavers were commended for reaching the milestone of 100 blood donations or more and one donor even reached 500 donations. In total, the honoured donors have given over 4900 pints of blood.
John Short and Penelope Horrell, each received a crystal plate in recognition of donating blood 75 times. Patrick Brewer received a crystal decanter for his impressive 100 donations.
Guest speaker, Bea Holman-Brooks, aged 13, from Okehampton, told of her battle with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia and how blood played a role in helping with her recovery.
You may also want to watch:
To date, Bea has received 12 units of blood and eight units of platelets. Her mum, Helen Holman, said: “Bea always has a smile on her face however poorly she feels. Blood has helped as part of her treatment and we are grateful to donors in the area for helping patients like Bea.”
First time donors should be aged between 17-65, weighing at least 50 kg (7 stone 12lbs) and in general good health. If you’ve donated before, you can start again up to your 70th birthday and there is no upper age limit for donors who have donated in the last two years. To book an appointment call the Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses