Blood donors honoured
NHS rewards long-serving blood donors.
JOHN Short, Penelope Horrell and Patrick Brewer from North Devon were among 56 dedicated blood donors honoured by NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) at a donor awards event at Bovey Castle.
The ceremony honoured long-serving blood donors from all over Devon. All donors who received awards had donated blood on at least 75 occasions. Eleven of the lifesavers were commended for reaching the milestone of 100 blood donations or more and one donor even reached 500 donations. In total, the honoured donors have given over 4900 pints of blood.
John Short and Penelope Horrell, each received a crystal plate in recognition of donating blood 75 times. Patrick Brewer received a crystal decanter for his impressive 100 donations.
Guest speaker, Bea Holman-Brooks, aged 13, from Okehampton, told of her battle with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia and how blood played a role in helping with her recovery.
To date, Bea has received 12 units of blood and eight units of platelets. Her mum, Helen Holman, said: “Bea always has a smile on her face however poorly she feels. Blood has helped as part of her treatment and we are grateful to donors in the area for helping patients like Bea.”
First time donors should be aged between 17-65, weighing at least 50 kg (7 stone 12lbs) and in general good health. If you’ve donated before, you can start again up to your 70th birthday and there is no upper age limit for donors who have donated in the last two years. To book an appointment call the Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk
- 1 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 2 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 3 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 4 OPINION: Support North Devon's fantastic live music venues - Andy McAuley
- 5 Police seek owner of bike found after car stolen in Barnstaple
- 6 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 7 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 8 OPINION: Channel your inner Wim Hof in Saunton this weekend
- 9 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 10 Barnstaple shop volunteer Jo wins Flame of Hope Award