THIRTY-five firefighters were called to a blaze in a three-storey house in Westward Ho! on Sunday. It is believed a chip pan started the outbreak in Eastbourne Terrace the second such incident in Torridge in a week bringing a warning from the fire ser

THIRTY-five firefighters were called to a blaze in a three-storey house in Westward Ho! on Sunday.It is believed a chip pan started the outbreak in Eastbourne Terrace - the second such incident in Torridge in a week - bringing a warning from the fire service about the dangers they can present.Called out shortly after 7pm, firefighters from Appledore and Bideford initially attended, but were confronted with a building well alight and further appliances from Bideford Barnstaple and Ilfracombe were called in.Some remained at the scene until the early hours of the following morning.Bideford Station Manager Graham Rooke said 100 per cent of the ground floor and 50 per cent of the first floor were damaged by fire and the upper floor by heat and smoke.The outbreak also spread to the ground floor of a neighbouring property.A couple escaped from the building before fire crews arrived and occupants of neighbouring properties were evacuated.Mr Rooke commended the firefighters and the way in which they had stopped the fire spreading.He warned of the dangers of leaving chip pans unattended and gave this further advice: Ideally, use a deep fat fryer with thermostatic controls; always dry food before putting into hot fat; never fill pan more than one-third with oil; if oil starts to smoke it is too hot, turn it off and leave to cool; don't move an ignited pan and never throw water on it; if it is safe, turn off the heat supply; if a fire starts, call 999 and make sure everyone leaves the building; on the way out, close the kitchen door.