Blaze at Barnstaple recycling centre
- Credit: Archant
A fire has broken out in plastic waste at the council recycling centre at Brynsworthy in Barnstaple.
The blaze started early this morning (Tuesday, July 9) at the North Devon Council Environment Centre at Brynsworthy, Roundswell.
Two fire crews from Barnstaple and a third from Bideford were called out at 6.22am, along with the environmental protection unit and a support appliance from South Molton. The crews asked for the water bowser from Barnstaple to attend.
The fire was deep-seated within five tonnes of plastic waste. They have been using a mechanical digger to move the waste outside, and are fighting the flames using hose reel jets, breathing apparatus, small tools and a thermal imaging camera.
Update 10.15am: An NDC spokesperson said it had been a small fire and had been put out quickly by the fire service.
You may also want to watch:
Staff were evacuated but nobody was injured.
Early indications are the fire could have been caused by a battery.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
- 10 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
The council said recycling crews were likely to be delayed on their collection rounds today after leaving the depot late because of the fire.