Birthday boys’ big bash for Chemo Appeal
Join Tony Finney and his December birthday friends in Appledore on Saturday for a fund raiser to remember.
A North Devon musician and several musical friends who share birthdays in December have decided not to let Christmas “spoil” their big days and will be celebrating on Saturday to raise money for the Chemotherapy Appeal.
The Grand Birthday Bash at Appledore Social Club falls on the birthday of organiser Tony Finney, who has been battling cancer for the past several months.
Although Tony is still fighting and waiting for the all clear he is determined to give something back to North Devon District Hospital and in particular to the Chemotherapy Unit which he has got to know well in the last three months.
Within weeks of a successful major operation he was back jamming with friends and in September was celebrating his marriage to partner Lorraine with his many friends and relations in a woodland handfasting ceremony at Tapeley Park.
In a chance conversation Tony found out that six of his musician friends who play the pubs, sessions and gigs of Bideford and Appledore have birthdays in December.
They all agreed their birthdays are overshadowed by the Christmas celebrations and were forgotten - so the Grand Band Birthday Bash was born.
- 1 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 2 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 3 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 4 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 5 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 6 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 7 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 8 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 9 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 10 ‘What a Beautiful Noise' takes to Queens stage
Absolutely everyone is invited to Saturday’s bash and there will be plenty of music from numerous local performers, including Tony’s band Firewater, Jim Crawford, the Steve Ruffe Band, plus of course “The Birthday Boys.”
All are giving their time for free and instead of birthday gifts they plan to raise money for the appeal.