Birthday boy's long trip to collect a take-away
CURRY lovers have gone the extra mile to show their devotion to a Bideford Indian take-away. Australian Joel Shaw has sampled curries from all over the world, but says the Taj Mahal in Allhalland Street is the best there is. Joel and wife Ali used to be r
CURRY lovers have gone the extra mile to show their devotion to a Bideford Indian take-away.
Australian Joel Shaw has sampled curries from all over the world, but says the Taj Mahal in Allhalland Street is the best there is.
Joel and wife Ali used to be regular customers when they lived in Landkey, near Barnstaple; but after moving to Tiverton, the 80-mile round trip to collect a lamb korma and a garlic chilli chicken is now reserved for special occasions.
So as a surprise 40th birthday treat for her husband, Ali organised for a stretch limo to drive them and six party guests to Bideford to collect a very special long distance order.
You may also want to watch:
"I had no idea what was going on when the limo pulled up outside our house but it was a great surprise," said Joel, who along with guests had donned fancy dress to add a little more spice to the birthday curry outing.
Astonished take-away owner Azhar Ahmed was so bowled over by the �80 that he gave the entire payment to charity. "Joel and Ali showed so much respect to our curry that we decided to make a donation to the North Devon Hospice," he said.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 8 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386