Birthday boy's long trip to collect a take-away
CURRY lovers have gone the extra mile to show their devotion to a Bideford Indian take-away. Australian Joel Shaw has sampled curries from all over the world, but says the Taj Mahal in Allhalland Street is the best there is. Joel and wife Ali used to be r
CURRY lovers have gone the extra mile to show their devotion to a Bideford Indian take-away.
Australian Joel Shaw has sampled curries from all over the world, but says the Taj Mahal in Allhalland Street is the best there is.
Joel and wife Ali used to be regular customers when they lived in Landkey, near Barnstaple; but after moving to Tiverton, the 80-mile round trip to collect a lamb korma and a garlic chilli chicken is now reserved for special occasions.
So as a surprise 40th birthday treat for her husband, Ali organised for a stretch limo to drive them and six party guests to Bideford to collect a very special long distance order.
You may also want to watch:
"I had no idea what was going on when the limo pulled up outside our house but it was a great surprise," said Joel, who along with guests had donned fancy dress to add a little more spice to the birthday curry outing.
Astonished take-away owner Azhar Ahmed was so bowled over by the �80 that he gave the entire payment to charity. "Joel and Ali showed so much respect to our curry that we decided to make a donation to the North Devon Hospice," he said.
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 4 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
- 9 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 10 Take on an Incredible Hike for Children’s Hospice South West