Bike ride offers ‘Cornish escape’
Places up for grabs in popular Coast to Coast Challenge.
ORGANISERS of an annual charity endurance bike ride say they hope to register 500 cyclists for this year’s event.
More than 150 people have already signed up to take part year’s Devon Coast-to-Coast Challenge, taking place on Sunday, June 3.
For the first time ever, the ninth edition of the popular ride will take riders out of the county from Looe, in South Cornwall to Barnstaple, on either a 100-mile or 70-mile route depending on ability.
Last year, 400 participants helped raise nearly �40,000 for North Devon Hospice and it is hoped that the ‘Escape from Cornwall’ ride will boost the event’s overall fund-raising even further.
You may also want to watch:
Co-organiser Simon Paddon urged local cyclists to secure their place sooner rather than later: “For logistical reasons, we can only have a certain number of cyclists taking part and those places will quickly go.
“We’ve always felt that the Coast-to-Coast Challenge was very much a Devonian event but are pleased to be offering something different this year.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
“A huge amount of time has been spent planning the routes and stop-over points and both routes take in some simply stunning cycling roads with incredible views.
“Make no mistake, the course will be challenging, but the views and scenery en route will certainly make up for it.”
The annual fund-raiser, which started in 1999 with just four riders, has steadily grown over the years and has raised nearly �135,000.
Emma Lowe, from North Devon Hospice’s fundraising team, said: “This kind of support will make a real difference to the lives of patients and families cared for by North Devon Hospice.
“Not only is it a great fundraising event, it’s also a huge amount of fun, which can be seen by the growing number of cyclists we have taking part each year.”
Entry is just �20, with riders required to raise a minimum of �50 sponsorship. To enter click on the link at the top right of this page, visit www.coast-coast.co.uk, telephone Emma at North Devon Hospice on 01271 347213, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Coast-to-Coast team is also running a competition to win �10 worth of vouchers at South Fork Cycles.
Five cars displaying a Coast-to-Coast car sticker will be picked at random between now and the event. Just contact the organisers to get your sticker and be in with a chance of winning.