Bike ride battles eye disease
John Wade to cycle from Barnstaple to Andover for eye charity.
A Barnstaple man has his sights set on completing a 130-mile sponsored bike ride in support of people suffering from a degenerating eye disease.
John Wade, who works as a rehabilitation officer for Devon County Council’s Sensory Impairment Team, will be cycling from the eye clinic at North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple to the headquarters of the Macular Disease Society in Andover, Hampshire.
John, 55, from Newport, said: “Macular degeneration gradually robs the eye of its central, detailed vision and the most prevalent form of the disease is still untreatable.
“It makes such tasks as reading, shopping and even recognising people’s faces very difficult and frustrating.
You may also want to watch:
“The Macular Disease Society is a great source of support both nationally and locally – every patient at the hospital’s macular clinic gets a copy of their handbook and there are support groups in Bideford and Barnstaple for those with the condition, and their families.”
John, who will be setting off shortly after midnight on Friday (July 6), also hopes to raise awareness and money for Barnstaple’s See Hear Centre, a resource centre for those with a sight or hearing problem.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 8 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
The centre helps more than 1,000 people a year, offering information and the chance to try special equipment in a friendly and supportive atmosphere.
Donations can be made through the See Hear Centre at 19A Alexandra Road, on 01271 373236 or by visiting John’s Just Giving web page: www.justgiving.com/johnrovi