'Bigger and better' Barnstaple carnival enjoyed by thousands
BIGGER and better than ever before; those were the words being used to describe Barnstaple s annual carnival, which took place on Saturday. Perfect late summer weather set the scene as thousands of families lined the streets to enjoy the carnival procession around the town
BIGGER and better than ever before; those were the words being used to describe Barnstaple's annual carnival, which took place on Saturday.
Perfect late summer weather set the scene as thousands of families lined the streets to enjoy the carnival procession around the town.
"We had great weather, great crowds and some absolutely fantastic entries," said carnival committee spokesperson Lesley Windsor.
"The event just keeps getting bigger and better every year and most importantly, raises thousands of pounds for charities in the town - I'm still counting the all the money donated on Saturday."
You may also want to watch:
A total of 62 entries took part in this year's parade, including 18 floats pulled by articulated lorries and 28 tractor-towed floats, as well as walking characters.
Overall winner this year was the Barnstaple Town Youth Marching Band whose toy town-themed entry won the band the Percy Brend Cup.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 7 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 10 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
For a full report, pictures and list of winners, read Wednesday's North Devon Gazette.
Hundreds of pictures from this year's carnival will be available to view on this website from Tuesday afternoon.