Big wave surfer Andrew Cotton joins charity cycle ride
- Credit: Archant
Will you hop on your bike and join the 240-mile trek from Surrey to Saunton Sands beach?
A North Devon big wave surfer and his personal trainer are joining a 240-mile bike challenge from Surrey to Devon.
Surfer Andrew Cotton and trainer Andrew Blake will join the three-day challenge from Guildford to Saunton Sands from June 24-26.
Organiser Ted Bright, from Surrey, is hoping 40 cyclists will sign up to raise funds for the charity Surf Mobility.
Ted said: “As soon as I heard about the charity, I just had to get involved and raise much-needed funds to help them buy their specialist equipment.”
You may also want to watch:
Ted said he was ‘overjoyed’ Andrew Cotton had agreed to become the charity’s ambassador, but didn’t expect him to take part in the ride.
He added: “We have about half of the riders signed up now but still need another 20, so this is a ‘shout out’ to any cycling enthusiasts who want to be involved.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 5 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 6 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 7 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
“Each rider needs to commit to raise a minimum of £500 with a target of £1,000, which includes the three nights’ accommodation and the support team who will travel with them along the route.”
Any profits will be donated to the charity, which provides surfing experiences for physically disabled children at Saunton.
The organisers hope to involve local enthusiasts from the area’s cycling clubs to join the final Sunday 80-mile leg to Saunton Sands.
Each rider is asked to make a £40 donation for their ‘fun ride’ to include refreshments.
The event starts at Spectrum Leisure Centre in Guildford on the Friday morning. Day two will see the riders journey from Bournemouth to Exeter before arriving at Saunton, the home of Surf Mobility, on Sunday afternoon.
To take part, email Ted at email@example.com or visit www.brightcycles.co.uk for sign up forms.