Big response to Gazette ‘best shops’ campaign
Gratton’s Butchers among the first shops to be nominated in new campaign to celebrate small businesses.
NORTH Devon Gazette readers have responded en masse to the “Your Favourite Shop” campaign, launched in last week’s newspaper.
We asked you to write to us with details of the traders who have built their businesses on the traditions of experience, good service and specialism.
And you responded by sending us more than 30 nominations for nearly 20 different shops in Barnstaple, Bideford, South Molton, Torrington and Ilfracombe.
“The campaign is designed to highlight your favourites – and the shopkeepers who have turned serving their customers into a fine art,” said acting editor Andy Keeble.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s obvious from the response we’ve had so far that there are some very well-loved shops in North Devon.
“We have received some fantastic nominations and rest-assured, we’ll be featuring them all in the Gazette during the coming weeks and months.”
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 3 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 4 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 5 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
Keep sending your nominations to Your Favourite Shop, North Devon Gazette, Unit 3, Old Station Road, Barnstaple, EX32 8PB or email email@example.com
Just tell us why you use the shop and what makes it so special and each week we’ll feature one of your nominations in the newspaper.
OUR first featured nomination was sent in by Frank and Valerie Hind, from Rumsam in Barnstaple.
The pensioners wrote to praise their local butchers Darren and David Gratton, who run Gratton’s Butchers in Boutport Street, Barnstaple.
They said: “Gratton’s deserves our accolade; we are always welcomed personally with a joke and it is clear that they have an excellent rapport with all their customers – as pensioners we appreciate being greeted with “young man and young lady”.
“There is always laughter and good natured banter. This is the ideal family business rooted in the local community.
“They will get you any meat you fancy and very good it is too. Their eggs are the best value in town.
“In these days of doom and gloom, to visit their shop cheers you up no end.”