Bideford will kick start Atlantic Watersports Games
Official opening ceremony will be in the “Little White Town” this July
BIDEFORD will host the opening ceremony of the prestigious Atlantic Watersports Games, which are expected to attract 60,000 visitors and �14 million to the local economy this July.
From July 23-28 hundreds of young athletes from five different countries will descend on North Devon to take part in aquatic disciplines including surfing, kayaking, surf life saving, sailing, rowing, kite surfing and wind surfing.
The official opening ceremony will be at Bideford Quay on Sunday July 24, with festivities, food, crafts, music and live entertainment from 2pm.
At 5pm the competing teams will take to the streets in a procession around the town, led by local band led by Samba Sol and the Breton pipe band.
You may also want to watch:
The Games are a coup for the region after Wales was unable to act as host and North Devon Plus has spent the past few weeks working bring it to the area.
It is partly funded by European money, with sponsorship from local businesses enabling North Devon Plus to attract more funding from Sport England.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 10 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
Local companies and organisations have stepped forward with support, including Actavis, Bideford Town Council, Ruda Holiday Park, Tiki Surf, Saltrock, Torridge District Council, Red Bull, Lloyds TSB and Active Devon.
Actavis is sponsoring the 90 strong Devon team, which will be competing across all six disciplines of the Games.
North Devon Plus is keen to hear from Bideford retailers, market traders, live acts, street performers or any individuals and organisations that can provide volunteer services during the Games.
Businesses and attractions are invited to book a listing in the Official Games Programme, which will be distributed free through retail outlets, TICs and distributors, online and at the Games themselves.
To include your business in the Programme, contact Dave Allan on 01237 426427. Or to get involved in any other way, contact Isabelle Bromham at firstname.lastname@example.org.