Bideford WI needs you
Local branch appeals for more members to help ensure its future.
BIDEFORD Women’s Institute is keen to recruit new members of all ages to help keep the group going in future generations.
It meets on the first Tuesday of every month in the communal room at Copps Close in Bideford.
“We have a healthy membership in terms of numbers, however, our committee is concerned that a lack of new blood joining our ranks could ultimately affect the very future of our group,” said Sylvia Spiller, who is the branch president.
Meetings include a speaker, raffle, a competition, a bring-and-buy table to help raise funds and refreshments.
But there is a great deal more for members to do, including a number of ‘spin off’ groups that organise activities from games and crafts to walking, lunches and theatre trips.
One of the Bideford WI’s newest members is Sarah Wilson, who moved to the area two years ago.
- 1 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 4 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 5 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 6 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 7 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 8 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 9 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 10 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
“I was looking for something to do and went along to Bideford WI as they hold their meetings in the afternoon, which suited me,” she said.
“They were so friendly and welcoming; I decided to go back again the next month and soon afterwards became a member. You can get involved in the WI as little or as much as you want, and I have even recently become a committee member.”
Anyone who would like to find out more is welcome to go along to one of the monthly meetings, or call Sylvia Spiller on 01237 424946.