Bideford Water Festival on Sunday
BIDEFORD Rotary Club is preparing for a splashing time on Sunday when its annual Water Festival takes place on Bideford Quay from 2pm. Last year torrential morning rain ceased just as events started, and the sun blazed all afternoon. Water Festival organi
BIDEFORD Rotary Club is preparing for a splashing time on Sunday when its annual Water Festival takes place on Bideford Quay from 2pm.
Last year torrential morning rain ceased just as events started, and the sun blazed all afternoon. Water Festival organizer (and amateur weather expert) David Ogle says "I just know that it is going to be the best fun on the hottest day for years; I can feel it in the water."
Appledore activity centre Skern Lodge are going to be on the quayside all afternoon offering powerboat rides. There's also going to be a raft race, and kayak jumping into the River Torridge from the bridge.
The new �2.6 million all-weather Appledore Lifeboat and 22 squadron RAF Chivenor Sea King rescue helicopter will be doing a demonstration from around 3:30pm.
You may also want to watch:
A new event this year is a triathlon organised by Bideford Bridge Rotary club, starting with a 400m swim up river from the quay at 4pm, followed by a 22km bike ride and finally a 5km run ending in Victoria Park.
A Quayside tug-of-war between reigning champions The Aggie from Braunton and all comers starts at 4:30pm.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
A funfair and food and charity stalls are definitely booked, with the Sedan Chair team race around town starting at an earlier time of 5:30pm. Money raised from sponsorship and stalls all go to Rotary funded charities.