Bideford twinning charter arrives at last
BIDEFORD S official twinning charter with the North Carolina town of Manteo was officially presented at the town council meeting on Thursday night – ending a 25-year wait. Retiring Mayor Cllr Andy Powell, who has been researching Bideford s ancient links
BIDEFORD'S official twinning charter with the North Carolina town of Manteo was officially presented at the town council meeting on Thursday night - ending a 25-year wait.
Retiring Mayor Cllr Andy Powell, who has been researching Bideford's ancient links with North Carolina stretching back more than 400 years, visited Manteo last month and signed the charter with Jamie Daniels, the Mayor of Manteo.
Apart from their historic links, the two towns made formal contact and exchanged gifts 25 years ago. The American always considered themselves to have been twinning, but the signing of an official charter never took place.
In presenting the framed charter - and a framed aerial photograph of Manteo - Mr Powell said that the signing ceremony had been watched online by around 72,000 people in America, reflecting their great interest in England and their heritage.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Powell revealed that the American mayor was keen to set up an English Heritage Day event linked with Bideford next year.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 6 Staff at Wimpy Barnstaple receive special bonus
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby receives parliamentary promotion
- 8 Dignitaries formally open Penrose Almshouses in Barnstaple
- 9 Mercy for Lynton farm shop keeper who grew cannabis
- 10 Extinction Rebellion celebrate Big Green Week in Barnstaple