Bideford twinning charter arrives at last
BIDEFORD S official twinning charter with the North Carolina town of Manteo was officially presented at the town council meeting on Thursday night – ending a 25-year wait. Retiring Mayor Cllr Andy Powell, who has been researching Bideford s ancient links
BIDEFORD'S official twinning charter with the North Carolina town of Manteo was officially presented at the town council meeting on Thursday night - ending a 25-year wait.
Retiring Mayor Cllr Andy Powell, who has been researching Bideford's ancient links with North Carolina stretching back more than 400 years, visited Manteo last month and signed the charter with Jamie Daniels, the Mayor of Manteo.
Apart from their historic links, the two towns made formal contact and exchanged gifts 25 years ago. The American always considered themselves to have been twinning, but the signing of an official charter never took place.
In presenting the framed charter - and a framed aerial photograph of Manteo - Mr Powell said that the signing ceremony had been watched online by around 72,000 people in America, reflecting their great interest in England and their heritage.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Powell revealed that the American mayor was keen to set up an English Heritage Day event linked with Bideford next year.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 5 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 6 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 7 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash