Bideford twinning charter arrives at last
BIDEFORD S official twinning charter with the North Carolina town of Manteo was officially presented at the town council meeting on Thursday night – ending a 25-year wait. Retiring Mayor Cllr Andy Powell, who has been researching Bideford s ancient links
BIDEFORD'S official twinning charter with the North Carolina town of Manteo was officially presented at the town council meeting on Thursday night - ending a 25-year wait.
Retiring Mayor Cllr Andy Powell, who has been researching Bideford's ancient links with North Carolina stretching back more than 400 years, visited Manteo last month and signed the charter with Jamie Daniels, the Mayor of Manteo.
Apart from their historic links, the two towns made formal contact and exchanged gifts 25 years ago. The American always considered themselves to have been twinning, but the signing of an official charter never took place.
In presenting the framed charter - and a framed aerial photograph of Manteo - Mr Powell said that the signing ceremony had been watched online by around 72,000 people in America, reflecting their great interest in England and their heritage.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Powell revealed that the American mayor was keen to set up an English Heritage Day event linked with Bideford next year.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 6 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?