Bideford twinning charter arrives at last
BIDEFORD S official twinning charter with the North Carolina town of Manteo was officially presented at the town council meeting on Thursday night – ending a 25-year wait. Retiring Mayor Cllr Andy Powell, who has been researching Bideford s ancient links
BIDEFORD'S official twinning charter with the North Carolina town of Manteo was officially presented at the town council meeting on Thursday night - ending a 25-year wait.
Retiring Mayor Cllr Andy Powell, who has been researching Bideford's ancient links with North Carolina stretching back more than 400 years, visited Manteo last month and signed the charter with Jamie Daniels, the Mayor of Manteo.
Apart from their historic links, the two towns made formal contact and exchanged gifts 25 years ago. The American always considered themselves to have been twinning, but the signing of an official charter never took place.
In presenting the framed charter - and a framed aerial photograph of Manteo - Mr Powell said that the signing ceremony had been watched online by around 72,000 people in America, reflecting their great interest in England and their heritage.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Powell revealed that the American mayor was keen to set up an English Heritage Day event linked with Bideford next year.
- 1 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 4 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 5 Veterans Charity to host Charity Car Wash at Barnstaple HQ
- 6 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 7 Motorcyclist denied dangerous driving after quad bike crash
- 8 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 9 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 10 Hospice volunteer reaches out to 325 bereaved people during lockdown