Bideford town council fights for flag poles
Bideford town council are fighting to put up flag poles in Jubilee Square after they were labelled ‘clutter’
PLANS TO erect three flag poles on Jubilee Square in Bideford have been labelled as ‘clutter’ by Devon County Council.
Bideford Town Council heard on Thursday that Devon County Council had dismissed the request to put up the 30ft flag poles.
Cllr Roger Vanstone was outraged, and said: “Unless they have got a real objection on some technicality, we want our flags.”
All of the councillors were angered by the county council’s objections to the flag poles, which forms part of the regeneration project.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr David Howell emphasized that with Jubilee Square being cobbled in February-March, the area needs something above ground level to ‘lift it up’.
The councillors voted to keep pushing Devon County Council for permission to erect the flag poles in Jubilee Square.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 3 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 4 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 7 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
The original agenda of the meeting stated that the council were to choose which flags should be flown from the poles.
This point will be raised for consideration at a later date.