Bideford town council fights for flag poles
Bideford town council are fighting to put up flag poles in Jubilee Square after they were labelled ‘clutter’
PLANS TO erect three flag poles on Jubilee Square in Bideford have been labelled as ‘clutter’ by Devon County Council.
Bideford Town Council heard on Thursday that Devon County Council had dismissed the request to put up the 30ft flag poles.
Cllr Roger Vanstone was outraged, and said: “Unless they have got a real objection on some technicality, we want our flags.”
All of the councillors were angered by the county council’s objections to the flag poles, which forms part of the regeneration project.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr David Howell emphasized that with Jubilee Square being cobbled in February-March, the area needs something above ground level to ‘lift it up’.
The councillors voted to keep pushing Devon County Council for permission to erect the flag poles in Jubilee Square.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 7 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
The original agenda of the meeting stated that the council were to choose which flags should be flown from the poles.
This point will be raised for consideration at a later date.