Bideford to host World Conker Championships
BIDEFORD is about to go bonkers over conkers.
Local businessman Steve Blazey is organising the World Conker Championships, to be held in the square outside his Blazey’s caf� and cake shop in Mill Street on October 8.
Steve has teamed up with other shopkeepers for the event, which offers a trophy and a hamper for the overall ‘conkering’ hero and a book prize from local store Walter Henry’s for the best presented conker.
“Bring your own conker and I will provide the regulation string,” said Steve. “There must be no tampering with the conkers, which will be inspected before the start.”
Entry is free and would-be competitors are asked to call at Blazey’s to pick up an entry card in advance, so that a record can be kept of numbers. With play on a knock-out basis, it is hoped to have numbers based on 16, 32 or 64 for ease of organisation.
To help the day go with a swing, Steve will be providing a barbecue and Samantha Pavia from the nearby Bideford Apothecary will be making raw, healthy, chocolate and providing face painting.
The championship contest is due to start at 11am.
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 7 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 8 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 9 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 10 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas