Bideford to host World Conker Championships
BIDEFORD is about to go bonkers over conkers.
Local businessman Steve Blazey is organising the World Conker Championships, to be held in the square outside his Blazey’s caf� and cake shop in Mill Street on October 8.
Steve has teamed up with other shopkeepers for the event, which offers a trophy and a hamper for the overall ‘conkering’ hero and a book prize from local store Walter Henry’s for the best presented conker.
“Bring your own conker and I will provide the regulation string,” said Steve. “There must be no tampering with the conkers, which will be inspected before the start.”
Entry is free and would-be competitors are asked to call at Blazey’s to pick up an entry card in advance, so that a record can be kept of numbers. With play on a knock-out basis, it is hoped to have numbers based on 16, 32 or 64 for ease of organisation.
You may also want to watch:
To help the day go with a swing, Steve will be providing a barbecue and Samantha Pavia from the nearby Bideford Apothecary will be making raw, healthy, chocolate and providing face painting.
The championship contest is due to start at 11am.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'