Bideford teenager on Peru charity mission
Former Bideford College pupils hoping to help make a difference at city projects in the South American country.
A Bideford teenager is heading for Peru this march to spend four months helping with a range of voluntary charity and church work.
Michael Oldham, aged 18, will be setting off for the city of Arequipa in the Andes mountains on March 16 as part of mission work for the Latin Link charity.
The former Bideford College student, his family and friends have been busy fund raising to help make the journey possible.
During one of the coldest weekends in North Devon this year, Mike, his father Chris plus friends Dan and Nigel battled their way through snow, ice and rain to complete a charity cycle from Plymouth to North Devon.
You may also want to watch:
After some 60-odd freezing miles they were forced to end the journey at Yarde Orchard near Torrington due to a frozen Tarka Trail.
It will be warmer in southern Peru, however and while there, mike will help with building projects, as well as work with young children and adults providing help supporting a breakfast club, sports activities and a homework club.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
After Arequipa he will be heading to another project at Lima, the capital city. On returning home Mike planning to start at Plymouth University in September.
Anyone who would like to make a donation to help Mike with his journey can go to www.justgiving.com/michael-oldham.