Bideford teenager creates her own job
BIDEFORD teenager Terri-Jade Johns has overcome the difficulties of the jobs market by setting up a business of her own – and will also be providing work for others. Terri-Jade, 19, is opening her own unisex hairdressing and beauty salon, Angels, in Bide
BIDEFORD teenager Terri-Jade Johns has overcome the difficulties of the jobs market by setting up a business of her own - and will also be providing work for others.
Terri-Jade, 19, is opening her own unisex hairdressing and beauty salon, Angels, in Bideford Market Place and is inviting other hairdressers and beauty therapists to work alongside her on a self-employed basis.
She explained that after three years training at Petroc, the former North Devon College, she had tried hard to get a job, but found it impossible.
"They just wanted people who had already been in the trade for years," she said. "So I decided I would just have to do it for myself. I also plan to create jobs for others. And I hope to have young people here on work experience as I found it hard to get a work experience placement, but when I did, it really helped me. Everyone needs somewhere to start."
You may also want to watch:
Terri-Jade has dug deep into her savings to take over an empty shop at 26 Market Place and has been busy with other family members decorating and fitting it out as her new salon.
After completion of the hairdressing salon she is turning her attention to the creation of an upstairs beauty parlour in which to provide a range of therapies.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
While hairdressing will be available earlier, it is planned that all will be ready for a full opening in the first week in December.
Terri-Jade said her new salon will provide a welcoming, family atmosphere and competitive prices.
Interviews are now taking place for hairdressers, beauty and holistic therapists to join the new venture. Anyone interested can contact Angels on (01237) 477719.