Bideford switches on Christmas lights
- Credit: Archant
Don’t miss the big Switch On today (Sun) after the Santa Fun Run this afternoon.
THE organisers of the Bideford Christmas light switch-on anticipate it could be a record year for numbers today (Sun).
The town will be lit with festive cheer during the Christmas Wish event which has been put on by the Bideford Christmas Committee.
The event will kick off at midday on the Quay with Hopps and Chapple entertaining the crown until the big switch on at 5pm.
And at 1pm, 200 Father Christmases will set off from the Quay on a 2km Santa Fun Run around the town for the Children’s Hospice South West.
You may also want to watch:
Families can enjoy fairground rides, street entertainment and special guests Peppa Pig and Jake and the Neverland Pirates throughout the afternoon.
Once darkness has fallen, the crowds will count down to the big switch-on at 5pm, followed by a live reindeer parade at 5.30pm, and a firework display at 6.30pm.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
Darren Sparrey, of the Christmas Committee, said: “Usually we have between 4000 and 5000 people turn out for the event but this year with the Santa Fun Run it could be our best year yet.
“We’re hoping everyone will bring their family and make a day of it, and we also have 1,000 antler sets to give out to children at the event which will be brilliant.
“Amy Beer, who is on the committee, has been tirelessly organising the whole thing and we’ve been working on it since March so I want to thank her especially.”
There will be free parking throughout the town today from 10am.