Bideford supermarket gets Tickled Pink for charity
Mayor starts store’s big ‘pink ribbon’ event
A BIDEFORD supermarket made a colourful splash for charity with a day of pink-themed fund-raising.
A bath in pink cherryade and the release of 1,000 pink balloons were among the stunts held at Asda as part of an all-day event for the company’s Tickled Pink breast cancer campaign.
Bideford Mayor Trevor Johns started the fun by cutting a pink ribbon with a giant pair of pink scissors.
If the sight wasn’t surreal enough for shoppers filing through the doors on Wednesday week, other madcap activities on offer around the store included a human fruit machine game; Top Gear racing challenge; sponsored 1km static row, and even bingo in the supermarket caf�.
You may also want to watch:
A pink cake sale; raffles; a book stall; face painting; and a children’s art competition with youngsters from Pynes and West Croft schools also helped to boost the total raised to beyond �1,600.
Representatives from the North and East Devon Breast Screening Service were also on hand to offer advice to women as part of a more serious side to the event.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 5 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 8 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 9 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
Store manager Amanda Hubbard said the Clovelly Road supermarket was selected from around 10 regional stores to hold the “showcase” fund-raising event.
She said: “The day was a great success and proved a big hit with our colleagues from across the South West.”