Bideford supermarket gets Tickled Pink for charity
Mayor starts store’s big ‘pink ribbon’ event
A BIDEFORD supermarket made a colourful splash for charity with a day of pink-themed fund-raising.
A bath in pink cherryade and the release of 1,000 pink balloons were among the stunts held at Asda as part of an all-day event for the company’s Tickled Pink breast cancer campaign.
Bideford Mayor Trevor Johns started the fun by cutting a pink ribbon with a giant pair of pink scissors.
If the sight wasn’t surreal enough for shoppers filing through the doors on Wednesday week, other madcap activities on offer around the store included a human fruit machine game; Top Gear racing challenge; sponsored 1km static row, and even bingo in the supermarket caf�.
You may also want to watch:
A pink cake sale; raffles; a book stall; face painting; and a children’s art competition with youngsters from Pynes and West Croft schools also helped to boost the total raised to beyond �1,600.
Representatives from the North and East Devon Breast Screening Service were also on hand to offer advice to women as part of a more serious side to the event.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
Store manager Amanda Hubbard said the Clovelly Road supermarket was selected from around 10 regional stores to hold the “showcase” fund-raising event.
She said: “The day was a great success and proved a big hit with our colleagues from across the South West.”