Bideford shoplifter fined for missing hearing
- Credit: Archant
The 27-year-old pleaded guilty to failing to appear as well as two counts of shoplifting.
A BIDEFORD shoplifter who missed a hearing to care for his sick grandma has been fined for failing to appear in court.
Lawrence East, of Lane Field Road, pleaded guilty to two counts of shoplifting after stealing a bottle of wine and a pair of jeans from two different shops.
The 27-year-old failed to attend his original hearing on February 7 and told the court it was because his grandma had suffered a fall and he had been caring for her.
Magistrates said given East’s previous convictions he would have known he could not miss the hearing and agreed to pressing charges for failing to appear in court.
You may also want to watch:
East, who was unrepresented, pleaded guilty to failing to appear and admitting stealing the items from shops in Bideford.
The court heard he had entered the Co-Op in Mill Street on the afternoon of January 15, selected a bottle of wine and put it down his trousers.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 6 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 7 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
Later that day he went into the Original Factory Shop and selected a pair of jeans. He took them to the changing room and put them on under his own before leaving.
East said he had moved to the area from Hastings to try and get rid of a drug problem but had ended up falling in with the wrong crowd again.
But he told the court he had got a job laying bricks in Ilfracombe and was now clean.
Magistrates fined him £100 in total for the shoplifting offences, £50 for failing to appear and ordered him to pay £29 compensation to both shops.