Bideford’s Country Life brewery strikes gold
- Credit: Archant
The brewery at the Big Sheep wins double gold at the Society of Independent Brewers Awards
A Bideford brewery is raising a glass or two after winning double gold at a top regional awards ceremony.
Country Life Brewery, won gold in two out of seven categories for its beers at the regional Society of Independent Brewers Awards and an overall bronze.
As a result, the brewery has booked its place in the national finals at BeerX in Sheffield next march.
The awards were hosted at the Tuckers Maltings Beer Festival and also saw gold go to Hartland’s Forge Brewery in the best bitters and pale ales category, as well as a bronze award.
You may also want to watch:
Country Life’s Old Appledore -a traditional English bitter - and Reef Break – a mild ale - impressed the judges.
Owner and head brewer, Simon Lacey, said: “We are over the moon to have these two beers recognised and picked out from such strong competition. It’s great to be flying the North Devon flag at the national finals.”
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 8 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 9 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
In the past, Country Life has picked up a plethora of awards, including the Champion Beer of Britain in 2011 for the popular Golden Pig. The micro-brewery was established in 2002 at the Big Sheep near Bideford.
These beers can be purchased from local pubs and the Big Sheep Brewery shop. They can also be found on tap across the country.