Bideford’s big day
THOUSANDS of people are expected to descend on Bideford on Saturday night as the town stands ready to welcome in the festive season in style.
From 2pm onwards the town will be buzzing with excitement as a host of attractions and entertainments herald the switching on of the Christmas lights by a local young person, helped by comedian Phill Jupitas.
The celebrations will continue into the evening, with Santa and his reindeer sleigh, laser light shows, Merlin’s world record attempt, street entertainers, fairground rides, song and dance.
The programme is: 2pm-2.20pm, Sarah Anne Westcott School of Dance; 2.30-2.50pm, Torridge Male Voice Choir; 3pm-3.20pm Sarah Anne Westcott dancers; 3.30pm to 4pm, Bideford Town Band; 4.10pm to 4.30pm, Sarah Anne Westcott dancers; 4.40pm to 5.10pm St Mary’s School choir; 5.15pm, the big switch on.
Merlin will be doing his stuff on The Quay between 2pm and 4.30pm,
Santa and his real reindeer sleigh will set off from the Quay at around 5.30pm and tour the town centre and laser lights will decorate the skies at intervals from 4pm onwards.
The Quay will be closed to traffic from the old bridge to Bridgeland Street from 12 noon until 8pm.
- 1 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 2 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 3 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 4 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 5 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 6 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 7 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 8 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 9 ‘What a Beautiful Noise' takes to Queens stage
- 10 Young Jack strides out again for charity