Bideford rolls out red carpet for the GRAFTAs
- Credit: Archant
The Grenville Renown Awards for Torridge Area will recognise young artistic talent and a ‘lifetime achiever’ in the area.
THE BAFTAS may have only just graced our television screens, but now Bideford 500 is gearing up for the GRAFTAs.
The Grenville Renown Awards for Torridge Area are a new concept thought up by the group which will showcase young local talent.
Bideford 500 will be rolling out the red carpet and encouraging students at schools in the area to create a piece of art inspired by Bideford’s maritime heritage.
There will also be a Lifetime Achievement Award which members of the public are being asked to nominate individuals for.
You may also want to watch:
Carolyn Hinton, of Bideford 500, said: “Having visited local schools and clubs encouraging students to come on board this project, Bideford 500 expects to uncover a hoard of hidden treasure.
“The GRAFTAs is initially being piloted amongst the Bideford learning community but could be extended in future years.”
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
Entrants can enter up to three categories from a wide range of disciplines including visual art, technology, literature and performance.
In true BAFTA style, five nominations will be chosen from each category and a glitzy awards ceremony will be held at The Pier House in Westward Ho! on June 21.
Local businesses have sponsored a £50 bounty for the winner of each category and The Milky Way is offering two free tickets for winners and one free ticket for all nominees.
The overall winner will be awarded the Laureate Crown, created by local metal sculptors Bill and Peach Shaw of Northam.
All of the entries will be displayed during an exhibition at St Mary’s Church on Bideford Heritage Day on June 29.
Members of the public are also being asked to vote for The Lifetime Acheivement Award to honour an individual who has selflessly contributed their time and talent for the benefit of the local community.
Nominations can be made by emailing email@example.com or in writing to Bideford 500 GRAFTA c/o East Glen, Orchard Hill, Bideford, Devon EX39 2RA. All votes must be submitted by Friday, June 14.