Bideford road safety scheme completed
A NEW road safety scheme has been completed along Northam Road in Bideford following several injuries in the past few years. Devon County Council has introduced speed cushions along the route and the 20 mph limit has been extended. The area was selected
A NEW road safety scheme has been completed along Northam Road in Bideford following several injuries in the past few years.
Devon County Council has introduced speed cushions along the route and the 20 mph limit has been extended.
The area was selected for traffic calming following an annual review of collisions across the area, which allowed council highway officers and the police to identify causes of crashes and possible solutions.
There have been five injury collisions in the past three years in Northam Road. Among those injured were two children aged six and 11 on bicycles who were in collision with cars. Three car passengers were also injured in the collisions.
You may also want to watch:
"Reducing road injuries, particularly where they involve child casualties, is one of the county council's key objectives," said Councillor Stuart Hughes, cabinet member for highways and transportation.
"Lowering speeds in these sensitive areas is vital and schemes such as this can help us achieve safety improvements."
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 9 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
- 10 The Beggar's Opera - This week at the Queen's Theatre
Councillor Sam Robinson, County Councillor for Bideford East, added: "The issue of road safety along this busy stretch of road was raised at Bideford Town Council last year and I am pleased this measure is to be implemented.
"I would, however, look on this as a step forward in what I would hope will ultimately be a blanket 20 mph speed limit throughout Bideford, as I believe that to be the wish of the town council."
The decision to introduce the traffic calming follows a public consultation which revealed that three quarters of local residents supported the scheme.