Bideford receives St John best unit award
BIDEFORD St John Ambulance was awarded the Iris Lee Fowler Cup as the best all round unit in North Devon at the Devon County St John annual carol service and presentations held in Barnstaple Parish Church.
Cadet Nicola Grindley of Okehampton received the John Harris Trophy as North Devon cadet of the Year. She has attended Cadet leadership courses 1, 2 and 3 and is well on her way to getting her Grand Prior Award and was chosen as Devon County Deputy Cadet of the Year last January.
Lynne Fantham of Ilfracombe received the County Commander’s Commendation certificate for her actions in performing CPR in an attempt to save the life of an elderly man in Ilfracombe High Street.
The North Devon Area President’s Cup for commitment, loyalty, dedication, selflessness and her work as a team player went to Maureen Thomas, chairperson of the Barnstaple Branch Committee, who has given almost 50 years of service to St John in a number of roles.
The Chief Commander’s Jubilee certificate was awarded to Braunton Quadrilateral Division, which has served the community of Braunton for a continuous period of 75 years.
You may also want to watch:
Ivan Pollard, who has served variously as Area President, Honorary Area President, Chairman of Barnstaple Branch Committee and a member of St John Council and was instrumental in setting up the twinning link between Devon and Barbados St John, was promoted to Officer Brother Order of St John.
There were long service awards for: Roger Jacob, Area President, member of St John Council (Devon) and Devon/Barbados Stapler (52 yrs); Michael Balman, Honorary Vice President North Devon (52 years), Marie Balman North Devon Area Treasurer and formerly Area Commissioner (47 yrs),Lynne Fantham, Ilfracombe (27 yrs); Gail Moger, Ilfracombe (27yrs); Carol LEY, treasurer of Bideford St John Committee, Sue Niven, North Devon Area Staff and Rita Nunn, Barnstaple (each 22yrs); Susan Glover (17yrs).
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 7 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 8 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 9 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 10 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
Badger awards for younger members were: Ilfracombe – super badger, Adam Payne. Braunton - bronze badgers, Maya McCauley, Scarlett Cullen, Millie Norcott and Oliver Avery. Barnstaple – super badgers, Joshua Richards and Shelby Sanders; gold paw, Kirsten Humm; bronze paw, Annie Adam.