Bideford receives St John best unit award
BIDEFORD St John Ambulance was awarded the Iris Lee Fowler Cup as the best all round unit in North Devon at the Devon County St John annual carol service and presentations held in Barnstaple Parish Church.
Cadet Nicola Grindley of Okehampton received the John Harris Trophy as North Devon cadet of the Year. She has attended Cadet leadership courses 1, 2 and 3 and is well on her way to getting her Grand Prior Award and was chosen as Devon County Deputy Cadet of the Year last January.
Lynne Fantham of Ilfracombe received the County Commander’s Commendation certificate for her actions in performing CPR in an attempt to save the life of an elderly man in Ilfracombe High Street.
The North Devon Area President’s Cup for commitment, loyalty, dedication, selflessness and her work as a team player went to Maureen Thomas, chairperson of the Barnstaple Branch Committee, who has given almost 50 years of service to St John in a number of roles.
The Chief Commander’s Jubilee certificate was awarded to Braunton Quadrilateral Division, which has served the community of Braunton for a continuous period of 75 years.
You may also want to watch:
Ivan Pollard, who has served variously as Area President, Honorary Area President, Chairman of Barnstaple Branch Committee and a member of St John Council and was instrumental in setting up the twinning link between Devon and Barbados St John, was promoted to Officer Brother Order of St John.
There were long service awards for: Roger Jacob, Area President, member of St John Council (Devon) and Devon/Barbados Stapler (52 yrs); Michael Balman, Honorary Vice President North Devon (52 years), Marie Balman North Devon Area Treasurer and formerly Area Commissioner (47 yrs),Lynne Fantham, Ilfracombe (27 yrs); Gail Moger, Ilfracombe (27yrs); Carol LEY, treasurer of Bideford St John Committee, Sue Niven, North Devon Area Staff and Rita Nunn, Barnstaple (each 22yrs); Susan Glover (17yrs).
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
Badger awards for younger members were: Ilfracombe – super badger, Adam Payne. Braunton - bronze badgers, Maya McCauley, Scarlett Cullen, Millie Norcott and Oliver Avery. Barnstaple – super badgers, Joshua Richards and Shelby Sanders; gold paw, Kirsten Humm; bronze paw, Annie Adam.