Bideford primary schools set to expand
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
£2.6m funding boost to create more school places in Devon.
TWO primary schools in Bideford are set to expand with a share of a £2.6 million finding.
The money for St Mary’s C of E Primary and East-the-Water Primary – as well as for eight other schools in Devon – is set to be agreed by Devon County Council’s Cabinet today (Wednesday).
Approval would provide £160,000 for an extra classroom at St Mary’s, and £25,000 to increase the teaching space at East-the-Water.
Devon’s Cabinet member for schools, Will Mumford, said: “We need to provide extra school places to meet the rising demand resulting from an increase in the birth rate and the new homes that are being built in these areas.
“The county council has been working closely with heads and governors to ensure we can meet the demand for places.
“We have made the case for extra cash from the Government and money is also being allocated from the contributions we receive from developers.”
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
Devon County Council deputy leader, John Clatworthy, who is responsible for finance and property, said: “This is good news for education and our students, teachers and school staff.
“It is also good news for the many businesses throughout the county which will benefit.”