Bideford primary schools set to expand
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
£2.6m funding boost to create more school places in Devon.
TWO primary schools in Bideford are set to expand with a share of a £2.6 million finding.
The money for St Mary’s C of E Primary and East-the-Water Primary – as well as for eight other schools in Devon – is set to be agreed by Devon County Council’s Cabinet today (Wednesday).
Approval would provide £160,000 for an extra classroom at St Mary’s, and £25,000 to increase the teaching space at East-the-Water.
Devon’s Cabinet member for schools, Will Mumford, said: “We need to provide extra school places to meet the rising demand resulting from an increase in the birth rate and the new homes that are being built in these areas.
You may also want to watch:
“The county council has been working closely with heads and governors to ensure we can meet the demand for places.
“We have made the case for extra cash from the Government and money is also being allocated from the contributions we receive from developers.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
Devon County Council deputy leader, John Clatworthy, who is responsible for finance and property, said: “This is good news for education and our students, teachers and school staff.
“It is also good news for the many businesses throughout the county which will benefit.”