Bideford primary schools set to expand
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
£2.6m funding boost to create more school places in Devon.
TWO primary schools in Bideford are set to expand with a share of a £2.6 million finding.
The money for St Mary’s C of E Primary and East-the-Water Primary – as well as for eight other schools in Devon – is set to be agreed by Devon County Council’s Cabinet today (Wednesday).
Approval would provide £160,000 for an extra classroom at St Mary’s, and £25,000 to increase the teaching space at East-the-Water.
Devon’s Cabinet member for schools, Will Mumford, said: “We need to provide extra school places to meet the rising demand resulting from an increase in the birth rate and the new homes that are being built in these areas.
You may also want to watch:
“The county council has been working closely with heads and governors to ensure we can meet the demand for places.
“We have made the case for extra cash from the Government and money is also being allocated from the contributions we receive from developers.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 8 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
Devon County Council deputy leader, John Clatworthy, who is responsible for finance and property, said: “This is good news for education and our students, teachers and school staff.
“It is also good news for the many businesses throughout the county which will benefit.”