First Peoples’ Assembly to be held in Bideford
- Credit: Archant
Those fed up with party politics and wanting their voices to be heard are invited to the first Peoples’ Assembly in Bideford on Monday.
The non-party political event has been organised by new group Torridge Common Ground, which says it feels Torridge District Council is not heeding the concerns of its electors.
It says these include over-development, the destruction of green spaces, traffic congestion, small businesses being driven from town centres, lack of opportunities for young people, not enough affordable housing and hidden poverty.
The group says anyone who wants to share their concerns about what is happening in their community is welcome to attend the event at the Pollyfield Centre this Monday from 6.30pm.
Marianne Winfield of Torridge Common Ground said the group had been inexistence for two to three months and was formed by people from all walks of life.
She said: The Peoples’ Assembly is an invitation to everyone to come and speak about the things that they are concerned about, as a lot of people don’t feel they are being listened to.”
She said Peoples’ Assemblies were not new and had been happening in other parts of the country, with a growing movement of communities trying to work together to make councils more representative of their wishes.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 7 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 10 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
Torridge Common Ground also hopes to put up candidates to challenge for the district council elections next May.