Bideford mum organises fundraiser after air ambulance saves her baby’s life
- Credit: Archant
A Bideford mum is organising a fundraising event for the Children’s Air Ambulance (TCAA) after it saved her eight-week-old baby.
Little George Barlow was in North Devon District Hospital and in urgent need of treatment at a specialist hospital.
It took TCAA just 26 minutes to fly him to the specialist cardiac unit at Bristol Royal Children's Hospital from Barnstaple.
George was diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Mitral Regurgitation - the muscles and valve in his heart are weak and without medication he can't pump blood around his body.
He will have to take drugs for the rest of his life to manage his condition but he is now thriving and at 23 months old has just started crawling and saying his first words - one of which was "mumma".
You may also want to watch:
And now his mum Janita is organising a sale of pre-loved toys, clothes and books in Abbotsham next month to give something back.
She said: "The idea came about as I have an attic full of my boys' old clothes, toys and books that I had intended to sell on.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 9 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
"I just thought it would be nice to combine that with raising some money for the Children's Air Ambulance.
"We will always be eternally grateful for the air ambulance helping George in his hour of need and we want to give something back to the charity.
"You never know what is around the corner for your children as we found out with George.
"Without the amazing service provided by the Children's Air Ambulance some youngsters might not get the lifesaving care they need quickly enough - and that doesn't bear thinking about."
The sale is being held on Saturday, June 8, from 9am to noon at Abbotsham Village Hall. Entry is free.
For more details or to book a table (for £5) please email: email@example.com
Anyone wishing to find out more about the lifesaving work of the charity can call 0300 3045 999 or visit www.childrensairambulance.org.uk