Bideford Mayor waves off RNLI MayDay Mile walkers
- Credit: Graham Hobbs
Sunshine greeted almost 100 families and children in Bideford on Sunday, May 30, to raise funds for Appledore RNLI by walking multiple circuits of Victoria Park.
Bideford Mayor, councillor David Ratcliff and his Mayoress, Mrs Philippa Ratcliff waved off the first walkers, with children leading the way.
The event was organised by volunteers from Appledore RNLI fundraising guild and saw local families as well as those from as far as Bedfordshire, Worcestershire, Hampshire and Dorset taking part.
Between them, they clocked up 157 miles and received their RNLI Mayday Mile medals on completion.
The Mayor was delighted to make his first public appearance and commented: “It was an honour to be part of this worthwhile event, we rely very heavily on the RNLI’s services on our coastline, and it was great to see so many people who were keen to get out in the sunshine and get some exercise for this occasion.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information on Appledore RNLI Guild future events and volunteering, visit Appledore RNLI Fundraising Events on Facebook.
- 1 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 2 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 3 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 4 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 5 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 6 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 7 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 8 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 9 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 10 Covid case rise in Devon's young people prompts warning