Bideford gears up for annual Heritage Day
- Credit: Archant
The day, organised by Bideford 500, will see the town hosting its first ever gig racing event.
CANNON firing, a historical procession and gig boat racing will mark Bideford’s annual heritage day on Saturday.
The day, organised by Bideford 500, will celebrate the town’s maritime heritage throughout the 1500s and 1600s.
At 10.20am, an Elizabethan procession will arrive on the Quay and be led by the mayor, Sir Richard Grenville, Rawley and townsfolk.
The cannon will be fired and shortly followed by Bideford’s first ever pilot gig boat races at 10.30am.
You may also want to watch:
The men’s, women’s, mixed and junior races will take place throughout the day with race times at 10.30am, 11am and 11.30am.
Bideford Pannier Market’s traders will be hosting a pirate-themed morning and events include the Torridge Male Voice Choir at 10am and the Petroc Players at 1.45pm.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 9 Bideford's Millbrook Dairy awarded its first star at Great Taste Awards
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
Along the Quay and in Jubilee Square, a group of travelling troubadours will perform at 9.45am and 12.45pm, and Big Al and the Bandits will play at 12pm.
A hog roast, performances and story telling will take place in Mill Street which the procession will also pass through.
Guided heritage walks will take place throughout the town, setting off from the Burton Art Gallery at 1.30pm, 2pm and 2.30pm.
Children dressing up as pirates or buccaneers will receive free doubloons and everyone is encouraged to dress up during the day.
For more information and a full programme visit: www.bidefordheritage.co.uk.