Bideford festival to celebrate rich heritage
Bideford will rejoice its 500 years of history by holding an event of fun activities on June 30.
BIDEFORD will be celebrating 500 years of history at a special festival on June 30.
The town’s annual Heritage Day will mark Bideford’s history as a thriving port in the 1500s and 1600s with activities throughout the town centre running from 9.30am.
The event, organised by volunteer group Bideford 500 and Bideford Folk Festival, will feature live music, walks around the town, fancy dress and the sampling of local beer.
A cannon firing will also take place on the Quay at 11am and a colourful procession will make its way through the town finishing at the Baptist Church at around 11.40am.
You may also want to watch:
The town once enjoyed a large trade importing tobacco and in the mid 1500’s mariners and adventurers set off to explore and colonise land for Elizabeth I.
Sadie Green, project development worker for Bideford 500, said: “The Heritage Day recognises and celebrates the amazing development of Bideford as a port and town in the 1500s and 1600s.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
“It is a history so colourful and so significant that it has the power to change the future prosperity of the town forever.”
For more information visit www.bidefordheritage.co.uk or www.bidefordfolkfestival.co.uk