Bideford curry nights with world's hottest chilli
THEY were hot stuff back in the summer of 2008 and 12 months later, the so-called world s hottest chillis are back to wreak havoc on North Devon tastebuds once more. Indian restaurant owner Azhar Ahmed is offering spicy food fans the chance to sample a f
THEY were hot stuff back in the summer of 2008 and 12 months later, the so-called world's hottest chillis are back to wreak havoc on North Devon tastebuds once more.
Indian restaurant owner Azhar Ahmed is offering spicy food fans the chance to sample a freshly-cooked curry made with the small but firey Naga Jolokia chilli peppers.
Naga Night takes place at the Taj Mahal take-away in Allhalland Street, Bideford on Monday and Tuesday next week, with all the money from the sale of the super-hot curries going to the North Devon Hospice.
"Customers can pick the chilli straight from the plant and we will cook the dish for them," said Mr Ahmed, who successfully grew a number of plants in the back yard of his Barnstaple home after a friend a brought him a handful of seeds from Bangladesh.
You may also want to watch:
"We held a similar event last year and the curry proved very popular with customers."
Sale of the curries raised �110 for the hospice, while sale of the plants to customers has since raised a further �80 for the charity.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 7 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 8 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 9 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
- 10 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
The tiny Naga chilli often measures in excess of 1,000,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) of pure capsaicin - the scale of heat in chillis.
"I have tried them myself and they were very hot - too hot for me," said Mr Ahmed.