Bideford councillors get knuckles rapped
BIDEFORD mayor Cllr Trevor Johns rapped the knuckles of fellow councillors at their meeting on Thursday night for failing to turn up for the parade and church service to mark his inauguration.
BIDEFORD mayor Trevor Johns rapped the knuckles of fellow councillors for failing to turn up for the parade and church service to mark his inauguration.
But he commended the town’s cadets and young people’s organisations for playing their part.
Five town councillors had been missing from the civic occasion and only two had sent their apologies, said Mr Johns.
“I feel it is beholden on all councillors to try to attend when they can. If we set an example, people will respond to that. At the moment, the town is not responding because we are not doing 100 per cent,” he told councillors.
You may also want to watch:
“We must raise the bar and, even if people are unable to enter a religious building such as the church, they should come to the civic parade.”
Local cadets had taken part in the parade, said the mayor.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 3 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
“They also came into the church, obeying their orders. These are the young people who may one day fight for us and our freedom. The cadets and young people all came out.”