Bideford councillors get knuckles rapped
BIDEFORD mayor Cllr Trevor Johns rapped the knuckles of fellow councillors at their meeting on Thursday night for failing to turn up for the parade and church service to mark his inauguration.
BIDEFORD mayor Trevor Johns rapped the knuckles of fellow councillors for failing to turn up for the parade and church service to mark his inauguration.
But he commended the town’s cadets and young people’s organisations for playing their part.
Five town councillors had been missing from the civic occasion and only two had sent their apologies, said Mr Johns.
“I feel it is beholden on all councillors to try to attend when they can. If we set an example, people will respond to that. At the moment, the town is not responding because we are not doing 100 per cent,” he told councillors.
You may also want to watch:
“We must raise the bar and, even if people are unable to enter a religious building such as the church, they should come to the civic parade.”
Local cadets had taken part in the parade, said the mayor.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 7 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 8 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 9 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
“They also came into the church, obeying their orders. These are the young people who may one day fight for us and our freedom. The cadets and young people all came out.”