Bideford councillor seeks help for storm-struck US town
BIDEFORD councillor Andy Powell is hoping the town will show its support for twin town Manteo in America, which has been hard hit by Hurricane Irene.
“We hear a lot on the news that New York has been lucky to escape the worst of the storm, but nothing about what has happened in North Carolina,” he said.
“It is not so much the winds as tidal storm surges and flooding of downtown Manteo, which is the heart of the town. It is like us having the Mill Street and Quay areas wiped out. In a small town of some 3,500 people you can imagine how devastating that is. At this time the people of Manteo don’t know which way to turn.
“I am not sure what we can do, but this is our twin town and I am hoping that I can persuade the town council and the people of Bideford to do something positive to help.”
Mr Powell has visited North Carolina on a number of occasions in researching the centuries-old links between the area and Bideford and during his year as Mayor of Bideford was instrumental in establishing the official twinning link with Manteo.
You may also want to watch:
He has been in contact with Manteo by e-mail and has been sent pictures of the flooding there by town manager Kermit Skinner and town mayor Jamie Daniels.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 10 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone