Bideford council ‘delighted’ with youth support award
- Credit: Archant
Town council handed Devon Children and Young People’s award
Bideford Mayor Simon Inch and Councillor Phil Pester were delighted to collect their Highly Commended Award in the final of the annual Devon Children and Young People’s Awards.
An awards ceremony at the Cover Club, Exeter, was organised by the Devon Voluntary Organisation for Young People and Children, and the award was given to the council for Supporting Children and Young People, after being nominated by The North Devon Display Gymnastics.
A spokesperson from the club said: “This was an ideal opportunity for our club to say a big thank you to the mayor and council for all their support and help, not only for our club but on behalf of all the youth clubs and organisations in the town. We were delighted to nominate them.”
In the nomination the club wrote : ‘This is an excellent opportunity to show how much we appreciate their continued commitment, hard work and support for all the children and young people of the town.’
The gymnastics club also received a runners up certificate in the Outstanding Club category.
At the grants presentation in April the town council presented cheques to the total value of £77,000 to over 50 different volunteer, sports and charity groups, many of whom could not run without the council’s support.
- 1 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 2 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 3 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
- 4 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 5 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 6 Stylish Victorian property offers many period features
- 7 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 8 Those energy bills - what has gone wrong?
- 9 Queen's Theatre panto audiences raise £3,200 for local charities
- 10 Help turn tide with Appledore community film
Bideford Mayor, Mr Simon Inch said: “Members of Bideford Town Council were delighted to have been put forward by the North Devon Display Gymnastics Club for this award and to have been selected as a Finalist.
“Bideford is very fortunate to have so many clubs and organisations run by volunteers and the town council is very pleased to be able to support these groups.”